Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Review: Dream New Dreams: Reimagining My Life After Loss


Dream New Dreams: Reimagining My Life After Loss
Dream New Dreams: Reimagining My Life After Loss by Jai Pausch

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I've seen some reviews and comments about this book being out of touch with the realities of most grieving spouses, and I can certainly see that. Most people can't afford a nanny, can't afford to stay out of the workplace during and after the death of a loved one, don't have the luxury of tennis lessons or trips to Europe to reduce stress. I get that.

However, speaking as someone who has done some grieving in my life--though not of a spouse--I will simply say that the big-picture suggestions Pausch notes, the honesty with which she discusses caring for a terminally ill loved one, and the occasional moments of outright meanness she exposes are REAL. Life isn't pretty at this point, and it can help those going through this to know that they are not alone in feeling 'selfishness,' and overwhelming sadness and anger, not to mention relief at the moment of death. The frozenness and silence after the funeral is over, the groping for "normalcy," the often-crazy fears that clutch at us are well delineated.

I wish her the best.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment