Friday, June 07, 2013

Review: The Girl in the Green Raincoat: A Tess Monaghan Novel


The Girl in the Green Raincoat: A Tess Monaghan Novel
The Girl in the Green Raincoat: A Tess Monaghan Novel by Laura Lippman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



This was a quick listen, and very good. Tess is on bedrest while her pregnancy finishes up, and she's bored. When one of the local dogs appears in the park without its owner, the story goes all Hitchcock's "Rear Window." Only the truth is not at all like the story she spins about the situation. I don't think I'll ever buy a green raincoat.

What I really liked is the love stories that thread through the book, and the way they are part of the plot, and yet not part of the plot. In an Afterword, Lippman discusses how she wrote the book and it was really only then that I realized how clever a plot device that was.

This is a sad, scary, fear-filled, hopeful story with some lovely vignettes.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment