Friday, January 16, 2004

Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road, by Neil Peart

(1550225480)
OK, I can't stand Rush, and know nothing about the individuals in the band, but here is a book by the drummer (whose voice is not the grating horrible voice I hate Rush for!). When I cataloged this at work, it looked interesting: motorcycle trip to anywhere as escape from reality: Dealing with the death of a family member (in his case two--hmmm, in my case, two....). He's quite a good writer ("for a rock musician"), no really he is. He is obviously every-so-slightly more literate than say, Britney Spears or (to be less ageist and obvious) Ozzy Osbourne.

Daughter died in car accident on her way to college, wife died of cancer less than a year later, but he's convinced her broken heart killed her. They were his life. So now what? His answer: drive around North America for the better part of two years on his 'bike. Would that we could all run away (erg) from our troubles so easily. But that is a minor quibble for me.

Generally I liked this book. I could see what he was seeing (inside his head and out). Gotta love a man not afraid to admit he cries. He did get to the wallowing stage right around year one. Reminded me of that awful period of crying in the shower when everyone thinks, "Why isn't she over this?? It's been months!" Too bad it ends with a hokey-dokey romantic la-la ending. Quite a let-down (although I guess I'm happy for him)....grudge grudge. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment