Sunday, August 31, 2014

Review: How I Became a Ghost


How I Became a Ghost
How I Became a Ghost by Tim Tingle

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I snagged this when I cataloged it at work because it got great reviews, was listed as a Best Book of 2013 by a couple of publications, and because I love reading about history told from the "underground" point of view, in this case the Choctaws as they are being forced to move along their Trail of Tears from Mississippi (-ish) to Oklahoma (-ish).

WONDERFUL story about Isaac who, along with his family, finds himself walking away from home after white soldiers burn down all the houses in his village. It's a story based on actual tales told by ancestors who walked the trail and passed on the events to their children. There are some supernatural elements and surprisingly (to me) little hate for white people, although they certainly aren't portrayed as very nice people by and large.

This is first in a series. I can't wait for the next ones!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment