Friday, April 25, 2014

Review: Sleigh Rides, Jingle Bells, and Silent Nights: A Cultural History of American Christmas Songs


Sleigh Rides, Jingle Bells, and Silent Nights: A Cultural History of American Christmas Songs
Sleigh Rides, Jingle Bells, and Silent Nights: A Cultural History of American Christmas Songs by Ronald D. Lankford

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This seemed like it would be a fun book about fun music. It turned to to be more serious than I expected, and kind of a drag. I was put off towards the end when he started slamming one of my favorite newer (newer than "Jingle Bells" I mean) Christmas songs, "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." And the whole thing kind of stopped in about 1987. I know there've been Christmas songs written since then. He doesn't even mention the Live Aid song, either. smh



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment