Sunday, June 23, 2013

Review: Benediction


Benediction
Benediction by Kent Haruf

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I can't rave about Haruf's books enough. I simply love them, and gobble them down in greedy bites, ignoring my real world to visit with the people of Holt, Colorado. This time there is an awful lot of unpleasantness and disappointment, what with Dad Lewis living out the last weeks of his life, the new minister pushing his congregation towards something they find unforgivable, and the eddies and whirlpools events form. Not that there isn't joy and pleasure; there's a great scene of women of all ages cooling off on a hot day in a stock tank that made me nearly weep with the peacefulness and fellowship of it.

Really, almost no one's wishes come true in this book, and people are disturbingly unkind and cowardly, but...that's life. Real life. Can you forgive yourself for being less than perfect? That seems to be one of the questions this book sparks. Also, never assume the story is over, the plot is lost, and things are completely impossible.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment