Monday, October 31, 2005

The Shroud of the Thwacker, by Chris Elliott

Retrieved from: my library
1401352456, 2005
Suggested by: me, when I cataloged it
My Ratings: 4 Merit, 6 Interest, 5 Fun

Why did I finish this? Really, why? The only reason I can come up with is because I wanted to see how all the 17,000 strands of this mess got tied up...or whether they just hang loose.

Well, they mostly all get tied up. And there are moments of humor. And I think I get most of his jokes, although I'm not sure what Elliott has against Teddy Roosevelt exactly. Not that I think most of the jokes are funny, particularly, mind you.

By the way, yes, it's that Chris Elliott writing this. I tell you what: I'm surrounded by hints of "Groundhog Day" everywhere I turn lately.

A basic outline of this book is completely impossible. The hero is Chris Elliott (hopefully, not himself), who becomes interested in a 120-year-old murder spree in New York City. Similar to Jack the Ripper, but much more (ahem) artistic, the story involves time-travel, the Chicago fire taking place in New York, Yoko Ono, gangs of preschool-age children, and Little People.

In a word: weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment