Sunday, June 22, 2014

Review: Spell It Out: The Curious, Enthralling and Extraordinary Story of English Spelling


Spell It Out: The Curious, Enthralling and Extraordinary Story of English Spelling
Spell It Out: The Curious, Enthralling and Extraordinary Story of English Spelling by David Crystal

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I'm not a bad speller, but there are those occasional bugbears that trip me up. Now that I know more about the history of the language as explained in this book, I suspect perhaps some of those will be banished. Crystal makes the point that rather than teaching spelling by rote memorization, we would all be better served to dish it up with a little history of the historical reason words are spelled so 'strangely.' There is a certain grace in how things came to be, as well as a lot of randomness of course.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment