Saturday, March 29, 2014

Review: Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital


Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital
Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Regardless of your feelings about euthanasia, medical care for the very ill, disaster preparedness, or the events around Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, this book will challenge you to think hard about those feelings. I came in with definite opinions on the moral rightness of some of the events, and by the end of the book found myself wondering if I might rethink some of my beliefs. I do very much feel for the people stuck for 5 days in darkness and outrageous heat with dozens of very sick people and no access to electrical medical equipment. Best part of the book was the description of what was actually going on inside the hospital during that time. Scary stuff. The end doesn't give any solid, definitive answers, so be warned. You'll either find the 'main characters' heroes or not, but I believe Fink portrays them as humans, fallible and heroic all in one.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment