Sunday, February 10, 2013

Review: The Union Quilters: An Elm Creek Quilts Novel


The Union Quilters: An Elm Creek Quilts Novel
The Union Quilters: An Elm Creek Quilts Novel by Jennifer Chiaverini

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Hmmm....

On the one hand, I can now say I've read one of the quilt books, and it wasn't bad. On the other hand, I have no interest in reading another one. It's very chick-lit, only a little more heavyweight than average. Since this one takes place around the Civil War, there's plenty of Major Change and Drama in the telling, and I did come to really like Dorothea, Constance, and Gerda, to name a couple of sympathetic characters. However, some of the other women were simply annoying start to finish, and the plot...well, the plot was Men Go Off to Fight in the War and Some Come Back and Others Don't and Some are Badly Wounded, But Miracles Sometimes Happen (Though Not the Ones You Wish the Most For)...and then it just stopped. It really felt as if there was an awful lot of wasted potential storylines here.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment