Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Massive Swelling : Celebrity Re-Examined as a Grotesque Crippling Disease and Other Cultural Revelations, by Cintra Wilson

Well. Yeah. It is that kind of doll on the cover.

And I don't think Wilson likes Famous People much. In fact, I don't think so, I know so. In this book, she is attempting to pull back the veil of sloppitude we display toward anyone based on how well-known they are. Her plea seems to be that famous-for-famousness's-sake just really isn't good enough, we need to have some standards on who should be allowed to be famous, and for what. Being seen, having your picture taken, that's just not good enough.

I sympathize with her. And she's funny, acerbic (actually, more like acidic), and perverse all at the same time. The problem is that by the end, I was just tired of her complaining. Then again, I was still chuckling about the way she said things by the end of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment