Saturday, December 31, 2005

For Edgar, by Sheldon Rusch

Retrieved from: my library
042520409x, 2005
Suggested by: me, when I cataloged it
My Ratings: 7 Merit, 9 Interest, 7 Fun

I had to read this after glancing at the author blurb; he's from near where I used to live in Wisconsin. I flipped through the book and discovered that part of the action takes place very near my house now. So it seemed sort of fated that I read this.

It's not a bad mystery. The action centers around an Illinois State Police investigator in charge of a serial murder case. The perpetrator has a Edgar Allan Poe thing, and all his murders follow Poe stories: The Gold Bug, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Murder in the Rue Morgue....

If you are a Poe afficionado, this is a fun read. It's a little on the gory/creepy side, of course, but trying to sort out which story will be acted out next is a good puzzle. The investigator is a very interesting character, as are most of the others.

My only quibble is that from the moment the person who ends up being the "bad guy" appeared, I knew. I've reread that paragraph a couple of times and I can't figure out why I know, but I did. Maybe I read too many mysteries?? But this turns out to be relatively minor, because trying to figure out the puzzle is what kept me reading until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment