Monday, November 21, 2005

Je Ne Sais What? A Guide to de rigueur Frenglish for Readers, Writers, and Speakers, by Jon Winokur

Retrieved from: BLLY
052593703x, 1995
Suggested by: My long list
My Ratings: 7 Merit, 7 Interest, 8 Fun

I never took French as a course. What I know, I've picked up from listening to French-speakers, from reading, and from dictionaries.

This is an interesting way of presenting material I've seen before scattered about, and defining what I (mostly) already knew or guessed. However, there were some surprises, primarily in the pronunciation area. I need to remember the 'uh' sound is different and separate in French (as in English) from the 'oo' sound. On the other hand, the author gave up on trying to include the throated 'r', so the pronunciation he shows can't possibly be correct: "esprit de corps" just can't be pronounced "es pree duh kohr" as an American says his or her letter Rs.

Anyway. I did learn one little tidbit I'm trying to figure out for use in memeland: tout de même, which means "all the same; nevertheless." And now I know how to pronounce La Marseillaise properly (or anyway, MORE properly).

No comments:

Post a Comment