Saturday, April 16, 2005

No Opportunity Wasted (N.O.W.): 8 Ways to Create a List for the Life You Want, by Phil Keoghan with Warren Berger

Retrieved from: my library
(1594860866), 2004
Suggested by: me; I cataloged it when it arrived, and I'm a Phil-fan
My Ratings: 9 Merit, 5 Interest, 6 Fun

The point of the book is that we all need to try to achieve more than just getting through each boring day. If anyone caught the N.O.W. show on the Discovery Channel, you'll know that Keoghan is all about pursuing and accomplishing dreams. He doesn't hand over "Queen for a Day"-style dreams: he hands over $3000 and a time limit (3 days) with which to plan, coerce and do your dream.

In the book, he focuses on the physical side of adventure, like bungee jumping, but he also occasionally mentions the concept of doing something mentally or emotionally challenging--one example is studying philosophy.

I didn't read every word of this book. I read about half and skimmed the rest because it got somewhat repetitive.

His list consists of the following broad categories:
FACE YOUR FEAR
GET LOST
TEST YOUR LIMITS
TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH
REDISCOVER YOUR CHILDHOOD
SHED YOUR INHIBITIONS / EXPRESS YOURSELF
BREAK NEW GROUND
AIM FOR THE HEART
The last page is a contract to fill out with oneself, writing down and making real what one aims to accomplish.

While I don't think I'll follow his format, this has inspired me to create a list of Things I Want to Do Before I Die. First on the list: stop procrastinating. (First on Phil's list: stop making excuses.)

Fun, inspirational, and filled with some good ideas of things to consider. I won't be sleeping in a tree in a rain-forest anytime soon, or swimming with sharks. But maybe learning to swim better would be a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment