Thursday, December 09, 2004

Blacklist, by Sara Paretsky

Retrieved from: the library
(0399150854), 2003

I have read all of the Warshawski novels. Now that I know more about the area Paretsky is writing about, they are even more interesting. But I never reach the end of one of these without being "stirred up." And of course, that's the object of the writing, I suspect.

In this book, we find V.I. enmeshed in old money, old secrets, old pond weeds, HUAC and the Patriot Act. I do think that only Paretsky could manage to bring all this together in any kind of coherent whole. So, in taking on a house-watching case, she immediately finds a dead body. In the course of investigating his death for his family--the police aren't really interested, chalking it up to suicide without a thought--she uncovers all kinds of reasons for people to lie to the government and themselves. She also (temporarily) rescues a "suspected terrorist," actually, a terrified teenage boy on the run.

And of course, V.I. argues that the Patriot Act is evil. Which it is. But I do wish she would have given librarians some due, in that many (most?) would refuse information on patrons if subpoenaed. Oh, well. That's just me being picky.

This earned a less vehement reaction than the book I threw across the room after reading....the only time in my life I've done that. I hasten to add that it was not thrown because of anger with the author, but because of frustration with the way the world works. I'm still frustrated, but more aware of reality. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment