Thursday, August 26, 2004

Hole in My Life, by Jack Gantos

Retrieved from: the library, via BER seminar
(0374399883)

I read this because the presenter at this seminar (whose name escapes me now) began his talk by reading the first chapter of this book. I guarantee, if you read that out loud to kids, you will have their attention.

Jack Gantos writes the "Joey Pigza" children's series. He is also a convicted felon. This book is about his time in prison, and the road that took him there. Bad choices, bad friends (or at least The Wrong Crowd), bad lawyer, bad bad bad. It's a parents' nightmare, too.

The only fault I find with this book is that I doubt that kids will understand how he got from prison to famous author. As an adult reader, you see the brain-change he goes through, but I think it's a little vague for kids. On the other hand, he doesn't whack them over the head with "I totally screwed up, so don't YOU dare!"

A horrifying but ultimately (like, the last chapter!) optimistic book. I'd recommend this to anyone who thinks teens today are the worst, and I'd recommend it to the 'worst' kids, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment