Sunday, May 20, 2018

Review: God: A Human History

God: A Human History God: A Human History by Reza Aslan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a fascinating look at the history of our species' belief in God, from as far back as cave paintings and as current as today's theological wrangling among the major religions as well as between any of those religions and "science" as a belief system.

I'm not thoroughly convinced by some of his arguments about where humanity's religious bent arises, or how it has changed over time. It seems to be to be under-supported in some areas despite massive numbers of long footnotes (which I adore!) and sources. The parts of religion-history I know best--early Christian Church issues--are badly portrayed and simply not mentioned in huge swaths. However, the conclusion is interesting, and I learned a decent about about the history of Islam that dovetails in with what I already knew (not much) and now I'm interested in reading more about some of the earlier Muslim teachings.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment