Thursday, October 12, 2017

Review: Hypothermia

Hypothermia Hypothermia by Arnaldur IndriĆ°ason
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Great story! I wish I'd've read it with my eyes. All about missing people and life after death. Also some really really awful people, although that doesn't really come out till very late in the book. I need to find some of the other Erlendur books.

My only reasons for lowering the review to four stars is that the translation into English was done by someone British, but it was read by an American. Granted, George Guidall is good, but his pseudo-not-quite-foreign-but-not-American accents got irritating and the language ("holiday cottage" got to the point of me screaming at him in the car; also "boot" and some other translation choices). I would have been FINE if it were read by a Brit.

On the upside, Guidall seemed to be doing a valiant job of pronouncing all the Icelandic words properly (Icelandic-style): Erlandur's name was consistently said "AIR-lan-tur" and Baldvun was always "PALT-wun." That was fun.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment