Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Review: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values by Robert M. Pirsig
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Oh dear, this was seriously underwhelming. I simply don't understand all the hoopla, though I'm willing to attribute some of that to the era in which it was published. I remember my pastor, my brother-in-law, and other smart people referencing it over and over when I was a kid. I appreciate the philosophical education and I actually tend to (somewhat) agree with Pirsig's end point, but I don't think it's that earth-shattering. AND he was unable to translate the philosophy into a unified way of living, AND he calls himself kind when he is anything but to his son who spends most of the trip miserable.

I don't like him much. And I don't think much of his ground-breaking philosophy. Or maybe I just don't get it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment