Thursday, November 12, 2015

Review: Funny Girl: A Novel

Funny Girl: A Novel Funny Girl: A Novel by Nick Hornby
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I found this book to be clever and fun and read by a woman who does a pretty fair job at getting everyone's voice and accent down. The Funny Girl of the title is Barbara from Blackpool who goes to London in 1964 and becomes Sophie Straw, the star of a hit comedy show on BBC called "Barbara (and Jim)." It's not overly believable, but I loved the characters, who were finely drawn and very entertaining and real for their era(s). It was also a nice meditation on the postwar malaise in Britain switching into the Swinging 60s of Beatles Era London...and the joys and difficulties of youth and inexperience and naivete. I liked it very much.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment