Saturday, September 05, 2015

Review: Our Souls at Night

Our Souls at Night Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Although this was a terribly short book, I stretched it out over several days simply because I didn't want it to end. It is Haruf's last book (and I hope he didn't leave behind any partially-written stuff--I couldn't bear it if his estate publishes something crappy he wasn't finished with).

We are back in Holt, Colorado, with two people most of us wouldn't give a second thought to. There are some Haruf-referential plot points which were amusing, and the couple at the forefront have a sweet joy and humor with each other and their lives. But really, it's an end-of-life book about people trying to find comfort in connection as they face the end. And the end is, as usual, not very romantic, just like life.

I think I might go back and reread Haruf's books. They are by far the best books I've read in the past decade, as a whole.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment