Thursday, February 19, 2015

Review: The Magicians


The Magicians
The Magicians by Lev Grossman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



So, this is one of the more irritating books I've read (i.e. finished) in a very long time. I want to like it. I couldn't stand the main character for most of the book: self-centered, put-upon, childish, petty.... By the end I was thinking there was some hope, but not much.

Also, part of the premise is an obvious and direct rip-off of the Narnia books, which is either brilliant or not, depending on your feelings about those books. I happen to love them, so it seemed egregiously mean of the author.

And the plot has so much going on in it that it almost seemed like (at least) three books.

On the other hand, I like the magical school better than Hogwarts, so that's a plus. And it stopped at a really interesting place, so I've reserved the next book in the series. Hopefully it's better-focused.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment